|
MEXICO CITY, March 6 -- The owner of a department store in the
provincial capital of Culiacan was driving to work one morning
last September when three unmarked sedans without license plates
surrounded his gray Oldsmobile.
As passers-by watched in terror, four men brandishing assault
rifles hauled the man, Romulo Rico Urrea, from his car, forced
him into one of theirs and sped away.
Mr. Rico has not been seen since Sept. 25, 1996. But a notebook
dropped in his car by one of the kidnappers, as well as evidence
gathered by military investigators, links the abduction to Gen.
Jesus Gutierrez Rebollo, the former head of Mexico's anti-drug
agency who was arrested last month on charges of collaborating
with one of the country's most powerful cocaine barons.
Mr. Rico is one of at least 51 Mexicans who have disappeared in
the last three years after kidnappings in which there were signs
of Government security force involvement, according to lists compiled
by relatives, human rights organizations and the press. Now, evidence
is emerging to tie many of the abductions to the war against powerful
drug traffickers, which has increasingly been under the command
of Mexico's military.
''We are everyday citizens under attack, caught in the crossfire
between narcos, authorities and narco-authorities,'' said Lucia
Solis de Jurado, whose husband, a semiprecious-stone trader from
the border city of Ciudad Juarez, was seized on the front step
of his home on Oct. 6, 1996. ''It has gotten to the point where
it can happen to anyone.''
A majority of the victims have no proven ties to drug traffickers
or other criminal activities, relatives and human rights leaders
contend, although a number have had brushes with the authorities.
''They tend to be businessmen, students and other citizens who
were going about their lives,'' said Oscar Loza of the Commission
for the Defense of Human Rights in the state of Sinaloa, where
at least nine people have disappeared.
Mexico's military has traditionally played a supporting role in
the fight against drug trafficking, mainly eradicating narcotics
crops. Shortly after he took office in 1994, President Ernesto
Zedillo, facing widespread corruption in the state and federal
police, began to place military officers and troops in key positions
in the battle against the drug cartels.
General Gutierrez was appointed Mexico's chief anti-drug official
in December 1996, and army officers were given command of state
and municipal police forces in Sinaloa, through which large quantities
of drugs flow. Just last week, the army took over narcotics operations
in the border state of Baja California.
A Growing Concern Over the Military's Role
Since the arrest of General Gutierrez, who was highly decorated,
a number of families of missing Mexicans have come forward after
enduring their anguish in silence for months and even years. The
number of known victims is growing.
There is evidence that in addition to Mr. Rico, five men who disappeared
since last September in northern Mexico were abducted in operations
commanded by General Gutierrez and carried out by his deputies
during his two-month tenure as head of the national drug agency
or before that, when he was the senior commander of the Fifth
Military Region in central Mexico.
The abductions in which General Gutierrez appears to have had
a role are only a fraction of those reported. The general's lawyers
did not respond to requests for comment.
The disclosures about the kidnappings raise new questions about
General Gutierrez's ascent to the highest position in Mexico's
war on drugs, and about Mr. Zedillo's moves to expand the role
of the armed forces in the anti-narcotics campaign.
Several months before Defense Minister Enrique Cervantes Aguirre
recommended General Gutierrez to the President for the top anti-drug
job, the Mexican military had substantial evidence implicating
the general's two closest aides in the kidnapping of Mr. Rico.
Both aides were arrested with their commander on drug charges
on Feb. 18.
The kidnapping allegations apparently never reached the highest
levels. Mr. Cervantes acknowledged that neither he nor President
Zedillo had had any doubts about General Gutierrez until about
two weeks before his arrest.
Mr. Rico's relatives say they believe that he came under suspicion
of drug trafficking because Miguel Angel Rico Urrea, his brother,
was falsely accused on drug charges in 1992 and served prison
time before he was cleared. A judge ordered his release, but the
day he was to leave prison he was murdered.
Notebook Scribblings Reveal a Date and Place
On Sept. 16, 1996, soldiers in Culiacan swarmed into the home
of Enrique Rico, another brother. The raid, conducted without
a warrant, was led by a brash officer who identified himself with
a name that later proved false. Romulo Rico was seized nine days
later. At first, federal police agents told his relatives he was
in custody at their headquarters.
But 24 hours later the same agents denied they had ever seen him,
relatives said. At about the same time, Mr. Rico's wife of 33
years, Teresa, received an anonymous telephone call from a man
who said her husband had been detained by someone named Horacio
Montenegro Ortiz. The caller said he had seen Mr. Montenegro escorting
his prisoner onto a military plane at the local airport.
The family did not recognize the name at the time, but it turned
out to be significant. Mr. Montenegro, a former army captain,
had long worked closely with General Gutierrez.
Later that day Mr. Rico's family discovered a notebook that one
of his abductors had accidentally dropped between the front seats
of his car. The scribbled, sometimes encoded phrases showed that
the writer was a military officer who was in Sinaloa pursuing
an inquiry into the murder in Mexico City on Sept. 14 of a leading
anti-narcotics police commander, Ernesto Ibarra Santes.
The huge operation to find and capture Mr. Ibarra's killers was
commanded by General Gutierrez, senior army commanders recently
confirmed.
Unlike many families of the disappeared, the Ricos did not remain
silent. They took the notebook to military and police authorities
and human rights groups in the state and the capital, raising
questions about the mysterious Mr. Montenegro.
In October, shortly before General Gutierrez was appointed commissioner
of the National Institute to Combat Drugs, more than a hundred
federal legislators signed a petition calling for a deeper investigation
into Mr. Rico's kidnapping. And the military told the family that
it was opening its own inquiry.
One man who took up the case was a newly appointed Attorney General,
Jorge Madrazo Cuellar, a former human rights lawyer. But the Federal
Judicial Police under his command steadfastly denied knowing anything
about Mr. Rico, Mr. Madrazo said in an interview.
So he sent the Rico family to General Gutierrez, recently appointed
to the drug agency at the time, thinking he was ''the right man
to conduct the investigation.''
''We were surprised at how pleasant and friendly the general was,''
Mrs. Rico said bitterly in an interview. ''I thought I had finally
found the person who was going to give me back my husband.''
In 10 meetings with her, Mrs. Rico said, General Gutierrez never
acknowledged that he had directed the operations in Sinaloa at
the time of her husband's kidnapping or that Mr. Montenegro had
become his deputy in the drug institute, where the conversations
took place.
As the Evidence Grows, Families Share Sorrows
Defense Minister Cervantes confirmed in a speech on Feb. 18 that
Mr. Montenegro, ''a man with a disastrous reputation,'' was under
military investigation for the Rico kidnapping. He added that
last year General Gutierrez had disobeyed ''explicit orders''
from the high command to dissociate himself from Mr. Montenegro.
Another piece of evidence linking General Gutierrez to the kidnapping
became clear after his arrest. Mexican television broadcast film
of Capt. Javier Garcia Hernandez, an army intelligence officer
and aide to General Gutierrez who was arrested on drug charges
the same day as his commander.
Relatives who had witnessed the raid at Enrique Rico's home said
they recognized Captain Hernandez as the brash officer who had
commanded the search. In late February, military officials told
the Rico family confidentially that the notebook in Romulo Rico's
car belonged to Captain Hernandez.
In recent days, a half-dozen northern Mexican families, with nine
disappeared relatives among them, have come together for somber
meetings in the cramped Mexico City apartment where Teresa Rico
and her children have taken refuge. They found one another through
human rights organizations they had approached after General Gutierrez's
arrest.
As they sadly share photographs of missing loved ones, they worry
about their own safety. Human rights activists who helped them
have received death threats, apparently to stop their publicizing
disappearance cases. In interviews the activists confirmed the
threats and asked not to be identified.
Gilberto Chaidez, the 22-year-old nephew of two hoteliers who
were abducted from the border city of Tijuana, said he had broken
down as he watched the televised announcement of General Gutierrez's
arrest. Mr. Chaidez, a burly man with a buzz cut, had to stop
to control his sorrow once again last week when he recalled his
reactions.
''We were sure those men participated in kidnapping my uncles,''
Mr. Chaidez said. ''We thought it meant they would finally be
released.''
Some Official Routes That Lead Nowhere
Rogelio Verber Mondaca, 39, is the father of two men who were
kidnapped by uniformed army troops from a highway south of Tijuana
on Jan. 6. Mr. Verber, who until a few years ago was the Deputy
Police Chief of Tijuana, called on his friends in local law enforcement
to help him mount a statewide search for his sons Rogelio and
Raul, to no avail.
His son Rogelio, 28, suffers from advanced Hodgkin's disease and
has a catheter in his heart for treatment, Mr. Verber said. He
produced news photographs and clippings showing that General Gutierrez
was conducting anti-drug operations in the area at the time his
sons disappeared.
Mrs. Jurado and her family have become outraged about the official
response to their quest for her husband, Ruben Guillermo Jurado,
39. A senior official of the state of Chihuahua, where the Jurados
live, confirmed in an interview this week that Mr. Jurado had
been seized by armed men wearing federal drug police uniforms.
Nevertheless the official, who insisted on anonymity, said state
investigators believed that Mr. Jurado might have been kidnapped
by drug traffickers, because of ''narcotics-related wrapping materials''
found in his home.
The Jurado family indignantly accused the authorities of inventing
charges against Mr. Jurado. They point out that the police never
searched his residence or workshop, before or since he disappeared.
Some relatives have nearly despaired of going through Mexican
institutions. Maria de los Angeles de Beltran, whose husband,
Manuel, disappeared in 1994, wrote to the United States Secretary
of State, Madeleine K. Albright, pleading for help.
''Our Government doesn't fight drug trafficking,'' Mrs. Beltran
wrote angrily. ''It just administers it.''
Illustrations: Photo: A poster reading ''Help Us Find Them'' urged
Tijuana residents to help solve kidnappings. Many disappearances
seem tied to drug barons. (pg. 14)
Map of Mexico highlighting Culiacan: A department store owner
was kidnapped in the city of Culiacan. (pg. 14)
Correction: March 12, 1997, Wednesday
A picture caption on Sunday about a series of recent abductions
in Mexico misidentified the group suspected of responsibility.
The abductions have been linked to the Mexican military, not to
the drug traffickers whom the military has been trying to suppress.
|